Skip to content

Windward Core

Some of our most innovative features originate with the users of our software. Please use this forum to submit ideas for new features and enhancements to existing features. The more votes from users from different Customers an idea receives, the more likely the feature will be added in the near future.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

69 results found

1. Encrypted PDF output

The ability to deliver an encrypted output a PDF document.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add image-size specified-height to IMPORT tag

You currently have it available where we can set the width only and the height will be adjusted to keep the aspect ratio.

I have a need where I need to set the height only and the width will be adjusted to keep the aspect ratio.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Paul!

This functionality has been added to Report Designer. Now you have the option of setting the image size as either “specified-width” or “specified-height.”

Thank you for your feature request and please enter any other ideas you might have!

- The Windward Team

3. Bitmap images does not inherit settings from the template

Without this there is no way to set a border, rotate the image, add a shadow or a reflection, etc.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Bill,

In our 16.2.0 release, we released new functionality where out and import tags of type bitmap are treated as objects by the template instead of tags. This allows all of the properties to be set on a bitmap (like a border) to be set using office, and no longer are may properties set in Designer. With this change and others, this functionality is hopefully finished and fulfills this request. Thank you for your submission, and please submit any other ideas you might have!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

4. Create Dockable Data Bin and Tag Builder windows

Design Data Bin and/or Tag Builder windows that can dock to the top, left, or right-hand side of your Word and Excel documents in a similar fashion to the standard toolbars. Eliminates the need for multiple pop-up windows and enables users to quickly design report templates.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Create a macro language for tags

For the tag select/value/evaluate= part, implement a complete macro language similiar to that found in Excel.

This will provide significant power & functionality for users because they can not just do simple operations but can call powerful macros. This would eliminate the need for the function tag.

Within each macro would be the capability for multiple selects, possibly against different datasources.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Support for .NET Core (at least on Windows)

All new development in our company is .NET Core, and we would like to continue using Windward Reports.

From our correspondance it sounds like the problem is finding the license key. I can tell from experience that figuring out what config file to use and exactly how to specify the license key is also a pain for your users. I suggest, as someone else has also done, that you let the application supply the license key instead of trying to find it.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter!

I am happy to announce that this functionality was released with version 16.3.0! You can find documentation here for the .NET engine:
    ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79483/l/1109667..
    and here for the Java engine:
    ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79484/l/1109698..

Thank you for your suggestion!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

7. Please add a method that we can call to inject the license key to the Windward engine.

We use a custom method to securely deploy our configuration values. Due to this, we would like to have a function that we can call to provide the Windward license key to the library instead of it reading from the web.config file directly.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter!

I am happy to announce that this functionality was released with version 16.3.0! You can find documentation here for the .NET engine:
    https://ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79483/l/1109667-how-do-i-inject-my-license-key-into-the-net-engine
    and here for the Java engine:
    https://ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79484/l/1109698-how-do-i-inject-my-license-key-into-the-java-engine

Thank you for your suggestion!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

8. I would love to have embedded documents updated

I would love to have a word template that has an excel (or power point) file embedded in the template, that also gets updated with the same pramteres. And if you could choose to use the embedded document based on a parameter, then you could switch it "On/off" depending if the output needs to have it embedded.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Include image location in 'bad image' exception messages

When there is a bad image in the report, the exception message does not show the URL of the bad image, which makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot. This takes us hours and hours to troubleshoot a customers report, whereas if we had the URL of the offending image, we could cut that down to minutes.

Instead, this is what we get:

net.windward.env.DataSourceException: ReadBitmapHeader error; call exception getters for additional information

The underlying exception is:

Caused by: org.apache.commons.imaging.ImageReadException: Couldn't read magic numbers to guess format.
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.guessFormat(Imaging.java:268) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageParser(Imaging.java:738) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageInfo(Imaging.java:731) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageInfo(Imaging.java:665) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at net.windward.env.image.ImageHandler._readBitmapHeader(Unknown Source)…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Java Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to report that this information should be added in the exception in our recent 20.0 release. Please let us know if you have any problems with the 20.0 exception for your image paths.

Thank you for your idea.
    Adam Austin
    Product Manager

10. Keep 'Shrink to fit' setting in Excel

Please preserve 'Shrink to fit' setting on a cell while generating an Excel spreadsheet with AutoTag.
    I use AutoTag 15.1.48.0 for Excel and it keeps 'Wrap text' setting already. Why not to support the one in charge of cell content shrinking?

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. There should be an option for tag output of QR codes that does not use an external API

Currently, there is a workaround to get QR code output using an import tag and an external API. This solution is not an option for users who cannot send their data to this external API as a security precaution. As such, there should be support for QR codes native in Windward instead of using this external service.

See the old ticket dealing with QR codes here: http://ideas.windwardstudios.com/forums/248503-windward-beta-program/suggestions/7685712-qr-code

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. gap in msword Output to PDF

msword features the ability to define TC entries in a Table Of Contents; WW does not render TCs in output to PDF, hence there is a truth in rendering gap; there is no acceptable workaround.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to report that Windward actually does support table of contents output to PDF! Perhaps there was something more specific about table of contents that was not being rendered or this functionality was introduced after the ticket was opened? For now, I am closing this ticket as completed since the functionality is available in our recent releases. Thank you for your idea, and please submit any other suggestions you have to improve our products. Additionally, if there is something specific about this suggestion that is still not supported, please enter a new idea and I will take another look.

Thank you,
    Adam Austin
    Product Manager

13. 7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. support additional XPath functions - especially 'replace()'!

I'd like greater powers to manipulate the text returned from an XPath statement using a more complete set of XPath functions. If I could pick just one function that really 'must' be supported, then that's the 'replace' function - see http://www.w3schools.com/xpath/xpath_functions.asp#string

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Pedro,

I am only just reading these comments, but we have supported XPath 2.0 for a number of versions now. This issue should be resolved with our current support of XPath 2.0. Than you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have. Thank you.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

15. Catch exception on expired license

When using the RESTful Engine with an expired license the application throws a 500 with an unhandled exception. I would suggest you improve your application by catching your exceptions and throwing meaningful error codes and messages to the client.

I get the exception when calling the version endpoint with an expired license. I tried uploading the Postman response but that doesn't work either. Below is the stack trace.
    [LicenseException: Expired license key ]
    net.windward.xmlreport.ProcessReport._init(Boolean ) +6115
    net.windward.xmlreport.ProcessReport.init() +26
    net.windward.api.csharp.Report.Init() +24
    RESTfulEngine.WebApiApplication.InitLicenseAndEngine() in C:\agent_work\1\s\restfulengine\RESTfulEngine\Global.asax.cs:87

[HttpException (0x80004005): Expired license key ]
    System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +520
    System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers)…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  RESTful Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show the document structure

Provide an outline view of the document structure. We have a very complex document with lots of levels of nested 'ifs'. It can be difficult to match up corresponding 'ifs', 'elses' and 'endifs' when viewing the tags amongst all the text inside the template.

An outline tree view would make the structure of complex documents easier to understand.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add email output to the engine

This feature would allow the user to have the final report emailed to one or more email addresses.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Charting: Adjustable Scaling in Y-Axis

Changing the scale on a chart axis and having the ability to have multiple different scales on the same chart.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. XPath 2.0 Connection debugger

When connecting to a data source errors can occur. In many cases there is too much information about the error for it all to be view-able in the connection editor.

SQL data sources solve this problem with the connection debugger. There should be one of these for XPATH 2.0 aswell.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide a better user interface for entering variables

See DataPrompter for an example. (http://www.wordsite.com/DataPrompter2010.html)

When asking the user to provide input to a variable there is only the variable name to prompt them. Unless they hover over every entry field they don't know what information is expected.

It would also be useful to allow grouping of entry fields so related data can be entered together.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi David!

Our UI has undergone many changes since this feature request was made. Currently users can fill out a description for each of their template variables so that users can better understand what they are needing to enter.

Thank you for your idea and please enter any other feature requests you might have with our newer versions!
    - The Windward Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base