Skip to content

Windward Core

Some of our most innovative features originate with the users of our software. Please use this forum to submit ideas for new features and enhancements to existing features. The more votes from users from different Customers an idea receives, the more likely the feature will be added in the near future.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

120 results found

1. Add color picker to Conditional Formatting Rule Manager

Dear Windward,

To select a color in the Format wizard, a color picker would be very helpfull instead of entering hex values manually.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We have reviewed this idea but declined it for development at the current time. While it is not ideal to use a color picker outside of the app, our recommendation is to use this workaround and use the hex from the outside color picker. Thank you for your idea, and please submit any other suggestions you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

2. Add option in designer to "save on preview" so we don't have to save every time we click preview.

The title pretty much covers it. It's a pain to have to save the document every time I wan to preview a change. I understand some customers want this but many don't. So, have it ask to save be default but have an option you can check so the clicking the preview button will auto-save the documentment for you.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I have entered this issue into our backlog and related it with similar requests to reduce unnecessary clicks when using the Designer. We will re-visit all these requests together, and I will update this ticket again if we target this for a specific release. until then, I am closing this ticket as declined. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

3. Include Support for Powerpoint master pages

Windward doesn't currently allow tagging in the Master Pages of PPT. We have hundreds of presentations with the "Current Year" copyright being held on a master page (pretty common practice in PPT) and we can't tag it to update every year.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I have added this idea to our backlog but it is currently not targeted for a release since we have some other PowerPoint changes we want to make that are currently a priority. If we target this idea for a release version, I will re-open this ticket and update it with an expected date. Thank you for your idea, and please submit any other suggestions you have to improve our product.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

4. Add Excel as a supported data source type

Backward as it seems, it would support platform-independence.

I'm developing an app right now for the small business where I work that interfaces with a SQL Server ERP to do unsupported processing before reporting. But, using Excel as a buffer means that if they change to an Oracle ERP I won't have to change the code - just create a query in the new ERP to generate the spreadsheet. Moreover, Excel is supported and working fine in the designer - it shouldn't take much to add it for the engine.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

This request is one we have received in the past. The reason we do not support Excel as a Datasource is because, in our experience, the lack of enforced structure in the data ends up causing problems in all instances. This leads to a frustrating user experience, and to users, the problem is presented as a Windward issue, not as an Excel data structure and continuity issue. For this reason, our policy on Excel is to not support it as a Datasource. Thank you for your idea, and please submit any other suggestions you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Java Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

This idea has been declined for development due to lack of votes. If we receive additional votes indicating larger market need we will re-consider this functionality for development. Thank you for your suggestion and pleas submit any other ideas you have to improve our software.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

6. Query to generate a subset, varNameXX, of the XML file.

Please consider adding a method to get a subset, varNameXX, of the XML file to reduce database queries.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We have reviewed this idea internally, but declined it for current development. The ForEach tag which loops over multiple rows returned by a data connection will serve with visiting each row in the result set. Some use cases that have come up with storing this data in a query tag is to improve performance by reducing calls to the database. For this case we have determined that the increase in performance will not be sufficient for the effort, and our recommendation is to re-query the data. Please share if you do have a different use case we are overlooking and we can consider this, otherwise this ticket will be closed. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

7. Support TSQL PIVOT Operator

Working with poorly designed SQL database with absolutely no normalization. Have many tables with repeating groups, ie: item1, item2, item3, item4, item5, etc. The TSQL Pivot operator allows me to turn a single row with 5 items into 5 rows. Then I could ForEach through the rows.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We encourage you to resolve this unfortunate data problem outside of Windward. Issues with the structure of your data may be solved with changes to the database, or a view for your data that you can use inside the Designer. For this reason, we are declining this idea for development. Thank you for your suggestion and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

8. Support new chart types in Office 2016

Windward doesn't currently support the new chart types introduced in Office 2016, for example Treemap and Sunburst.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/available-chart-types-in-office-a6187218-807e-4103-9e0a-27cdb19afb90

From Windward Support: 'They are implemented in Excel differently than the older chart types, and Windward literally doesn't "see" them.'

Including these chart types in a template results in a corrupt report. The data still generates however any sheets containing charts are blank.

The workaround is to have an Excel template containing these charts point to an external datasource, which is generated by Windward. This is not practical for our end-users who need point-and-click reports.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Java Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello reporter,

We are declining this idea for the time being. This is a very large amount of work to implement, and is divergent from our current development goals. I have put a ticket into our backlog to add support to these new chart types. If you have a specific chart type that is a higher priority for you, please enter an additional idea for that chart specifically. If you have multiple charts that are higher priority, you can enter multiple tickets. This will help us make sure, if we do develop support for one of these charts, we do the one that will make the biggest difference! Thank you for your suggestion, and please enter any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

9. Support of Microsoft Azure Information Protection

A document template may be secured by Microsoft AIP addons, see the following for a brief explanation of Microsoft AIP

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/what-is-information-protection

When a template is protected, users within the trusted domain should be able to read the document. It is not equivalent to password protected the document which user or program accessing the document needs to provide a password.

Report Designer and Java report engine do not currently support this kind of document. The following error is thrown from Report Designer for example when processing the report

Exception stack:
    Windward can not parse doc, ppt, or xls…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

Unfortunately, this functionality is declined due to being blocked by inability to decrypt this document in the java engine. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

10. Expiry Date of Scout or Other Licence

Would be great if the expiry of licences are delayed to America support hours so that if there are any issues they can be resolved as not current 24/7 support. i.e I think currently they expire at midnight US time and if in Europe we have to wait till 3/4 in afternoon to discuss, which pleasantly can say is then resolved quickly. Hence if delayed expiry time then outages etc would be minimised for your European Customers.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We already have some precautions in place to eliminate down time, like a warning email that the license will expire two weeks before it does. Additionally, since subscriptions can be managed by customers in our Windward Store, you could resolve the problem there as it occurs without contacting our support team. Is either one of these processes currently not working for you? I am declining this idea now since we already have solutions in place to prevent down time, but if you are experiencing issues with either of these solutions, please get in touch with our support team to trouble shoot the problem. Thank you!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

11. Would be great if the account had the ability to see usuage of the windward product over time and in the different environments.

Would be great if the account had the ability to see usuage of the windward product over time and in the different environments. This obviously would be good for the scout license. But this would also be useful in general if the app fed usuage stats to the account and to be able to report on or take a data on feed from even on enterprise licence.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We have declined this idea for development at the moment due to lack of votes. If we see more interest expressed in the future we could change this decision, and I will update the ticket then. Thank you for your idea, and please enter any other suggestions you have to improve our product.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

12. Template option in PPT Document

Hello Team,

Currently there is not option of displaying html content in PowerPoint slides. This is the feature most of the customers requested. If you consider this as a feature in future releases, it would really help us to meet Customer requirements.

Thanks,
    Kishore. Y

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

Thank you for your suggestion! I have entered this into our backlog of work for PowerPoint. We are also interested in adding this functionality, but we have some other PowerPoint changes already lined up that are priority. Since we do not currently have a timeline for this, I am marking it as declined, but I’ll update this ticket in the future if we do add this to our timeline. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other idea you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

13. Documentation/comment-Tag

In a way, the WW templates that we create, are code. I mean: You define parameters, format data, perform calculations, if/else, loops, etcetera. Basically: Code.

However, when you write code, you always add comments to your code so you will still understand why you implemented a certain part of the code 1 year later. Or someone else working on the same project of course. So I would like to be able to add a small comment in the template saying "Comment by Jacco: using this variable/loop to define blabalbla, for further context, check X". However, at this moment I don't…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We have declined this idea for development since you actually already identified the recommended solution for commenting templates. Here at Windward, we try to use as much of the native Word functionality as possible to make the template development experience more natural for Word users. The native Word comments are the recommended way of commenting a template. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have to improve the product.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager.

14. Change "Apply" and "Close/Cancel" in formatting window to "Save" and "Cancel"

If I want to choose a new/different format for a tag, I have to find it, click Apply and then click Close. It would be more convenient to simply click Save when I've selected the format I want and have the window close automatically instead of having to click Apply, then click Close. Fewer clicks = happier users. :)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We have decided to decline this idea at the moment. I have put an item in the backlog so we can work on this in the future if we get the opportunity, but currently this is not a priority. If we do target the ticket, I will update this idea. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

15. Add support for page border functionality

If I create a DOCX template with a border around the header and body but not the footer, the output adds the border around the footer as well. I'm attaching a sample template that demonstrates the issue and includes screenshots showing what is expected.

Per Windward Support, Development says that the page border functionality is not currently supported by Designer. Since page borders are a pretty basic feature in Word, please look into adding support for all of the page border settings. While it's not critical functionality, it prevents me from designing reports with the precise output I want.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Need to have an ability to turn a link to QR code and printed from template

Need to generate QR code from url link on a document. Thank you!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to report that we have already accepted this idea under a different request! Please refer to this ticket for updates on the timeline for this idea: http://ideas.windwardstudios.com/forums/248503-windward-beta-program/suggestions/38862844-there-should-be-an-option-for-tag-output-of-qr-cod

Thank you for your suggestion, I will close this ticket as declined since it is a duplicate.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

17. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

This idea has been declined for development due to lack of votes. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

18. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

This idea has been declined for development due to lack of votes. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

19. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

20. Support Marketo as a datasource

Allow us to connect our Designer templates to Marketo as a datasource

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base