Skip to content

Windward Core

Some of our most innovative features originate with the users of our software. Please use this forum to submit ideas for new features and enhancements to existing features. The more votes from users from different Customers an idea receives, the more likely the feature will be added in the near future.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

69 results found

1. Allow a .net JsonDataSourceImpl to be constructed using a .net stream

When using the JsonDataSourceImpl, you must either point the data points to a file or web service. It would be helpful if the class constructor allowed a standard .net stream to be supplied.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

We have reviewed this internally and I am happy to let you know this is already supported! Please check out our .NET API documentation for how to construct your Datasource using a stream. Thank you for your idea, and please enter any other suggestions you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

2. Basic Authentication with Jira

AutoTag claims to support basic authentication on json requests. However, when trying to connect to Jira, Windward's authentication doesn't work. Having basic authentication work would allow us to run custom reports against the Jira API.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I need maven support!!!!!

We use maven as build tool. I can't seem to find the maven dependencies. Simply inclusing a lib folder with all the Windward provided jars is of course no viable enterprise solution. That solution is beggin for deployment problems by just dumping unversioned jars into a deployment folder. No can do!

62 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Roger!

I am happy to announce that we now support using Maven to install the Java Engine! Please follow along with this wiki article to see exactly how you can set this up:

https://wiki.windward.net/Returning_Users/Java_Engine/Get_Started_with_the_Java_Engine/Using_Maven_to_Install_Windward_Java_Engine_in_your_Application

Thank you for your feature request, this was clearly a popular one, and please submit any other ideas you have and we will do our best to address them in a timely manner.

- The Windward Team

4. Refresh data source

I think it would be useful to have an ability to quickly re-read a data source using some kind of button in the ribbon. For example, if I have an XML data source and its structure is changing while I'm working on a report, I have to go to the Data Sources, click Edit, Test, OK.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Insert HTML with pictures in a report if path and filename in the image tag are correct

If path or file don't exist or if the file format is not supported, continue parsing the import file without inserting the picture. For size and position of the picture use the same rules like with <wr:import>

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Multiple Print

We are trying to use the RESTful Engine to print reports (autotag templates). Currently, there is no feature to send a request for multiple copies of a job. If you need to print 3 copies of the same report, you will need to send the job 3 times. It will be great if you can command to have number of copies to print.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Access Tags through API

It would be great if the tags were accessable throrough the Report object in the API. This would allow us to create the datasource necessary to support the template by interrogating the template.

In my case, I want to be able to create the template using a complex schema. Then when it comes time to generate the reports through the Engine, I can build the actual XML dataset that would only contain the data that template needs.

I'm sure others would come up with other uses for this. It would seem this is already something you must have for AutoTag…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support for converting UTC dates to local time

Our datasource returns dates in UTC format, but we would like to display these as local time in the generated document.

The local time setting would take the locale setting on the server hosting the Windward engine.

Although an optional feature might be to allow a parameter to be passed to the report generation that would indicate what locale you want your dates formatted in.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Alastair,

I am happy to report that this functionality is live now!
    A "ToLocalTime() macro has been added to the product and is available in version 16.2.0.188 and later. Thank you for your suggestion!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

9. NuGet packages for specific targets such as .Net4.5 without the overhead of unwanted dlls such as MongoDb.

Have NuGet packages for specific targets such as .Net4.5 without the overhead of unwanted dlls such as MongoDb and the J# dlls. The namespaces can get polluted when working in Visual Studio.
    It would be nice to have the smallest footprint of DLLs required to run Winward without have to currently remove one-by-one and hope nothing breaks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to tell you that this has been completed. In the new version of Windward all of the dependencies are required. Extra dlls like MongoDB have been removed. Thank you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

10. Switch Statement Tag

Please implement a switch statement so you can cut down on the number of IF tags in a document to handle cases where you are testing the same thing for different results.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Indicate that .NET 4.5 is a requirement for AutoTag v14 installation

The installation process for AutoTag v14 does not indicate that .NET Framework v4.5 is required. the AutoTag Add-on will appear in Word, but not function properly. Please indicate in the installation materials, as well as in the installer itself, that .NET Framework 4.5 is required.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am pleased to announce that these suggestions have been released in our 20.0.0 release. I’ve put the system requirements for the Designer at the top of our version features announcement (https://ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/89317/l/1249325-version-20-0-0-features), and the required .NET core version will now be installed with the installer if it is not already on the users system (https://ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/89317/l/1249325-version-20-0-0-features#designer-installer-will-install-net-v4-6-1-if-missing-on-machine). Thank you for your suggestion!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

12. Please support conditional resize of columns and rows...

Based on (content in column) or (value of SQL resultset)
    resize the width of column and resize the height of row.

Example: Say SQL result set give employee.Name as
    "WINDWARD-AUTOTAG" So Column 'A' should resize 17 pixels and

If result set give employee.Name as
    "W.W.A.T." So Column 'A' should resize 8 pixels.

I have requested same in request (#12875)

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Prabhjot!

This feature request was entered quite a long time ago, so I went into a new build of Report Designer to test this functionality.

Based on my understanding of your ticket, I believe this functionality is supported now. I made a basic template with a forEach tag selecting the Categories table and inside produced a set of single rowed tables with three columns and the AutoFit Word setting set on my tables. Each of my single-row tables had the three columns fit to their contents (CategoryName, Description, CategoryID).

Let us know if you still do not have this functionality or if you have any other requests!

Thank you!
    - The Windward Team

13. 23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add email output to the engine

This feature would allow the user to have the final report emailed to one or more email addresses.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Carry document protection across from template into generated report

When generating a WordML report from a WordML template, we'd like to restrict the editing of the generated report.

We'd like to set up document protection in the template and have those settings carry over into the report.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Create Dockable Data Bin and Tag Builder windows

Design Data Bin and/or Tag Builder windows that can dock to the top, left, or right-hand side of your Word and Excel documents in a similar fashion to the standard toolbars. Eliminates the need for multiple pop-up windows and enables users to quickly design report templates.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Renaming tag's variable updates all its references

When a tag's variable is renamed (the var attribute) automatically rename all references to that variable in other tags, if any.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Igor!

Windward Report Designer now incorporates this functionality. After you update the Variable for your tag, you will be prompted to update all occurrences of that variable in the template if you would like.

Thank you for your suggesting and helping us to improve our product!

- The Windward Team

18. Bitmap images does not inherit settings from the template

Without this there is no way to set a border, rotate the image, add a shadow or a reflection, etc.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Bill,

In our 16.2.0 release, we released new functionality where out and import tags of type bitmap are treated as objects by the template instead of tags. This allows all of the properties to be set on a bitmap (like a border) to be set using office, and no longer are may properties set in Designer. With this change and others, this functionality is hopefully finished and fulfills this request. Thank you for your submission, and please submit any other ideas you might have!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

19. Add image-size specified-height to IMPORT tag

You currently have it available where we can set the width only and the height will be adjusted to keep the aspect ratio.

I have a need where I need to set the height only and the width will be adjusted to keep the aspect ratio.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Paul!

This functionality has been added to Report Designer. Now you have the option of setting the image size as either “specified-width” or “specified-height.”

Thank you for your feature request and please enter any other ideas you might have!

- The Windward Team

20. support additional XPath functions - especially 'replace()'!

I'd like greater powers to manipulate the text returned from an XPath statement using a more complete set of XPath functions. If I could pick just one function that really 'must' be supported, then that's the 'replace' function - see http://www.w3schools.com/xpath/xpath_functions.asp#string

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Pedro,

I am only just reading these comments, but we have supported XPath 2.0 for a number of versions now. This issue should be resolved with our current support of XPath 2.0. Than you for your suggestion, and please submit any other ideas you have. Thank you.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base