Skip to content

Windward Core

Some of our most innovative features originate with the users of our software. Please use this forum to submit ideas for new features and enhancements to existing features. The more votes from users from different Customers an idea receives, the more likely the feature will be added in the near future.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

69 results found

1. Please add a method that we can call to inject the license key to the Windward engine.

We use a custom method to securely deploy our configuration values. Due to this, we would like to have a function that we can call to provide the Windward license key to the library instead of it reading from the web.config file directly.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter!

I am happy to announce that this functionality was released with version 16.3.0! You can find documentation here for the .NET engine:
    https://ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79483/l/1109667-how-do-i-inject-my-license-key-into-the-net-engine
    and here for the Java engine:
    https://ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79484/l/1109698-how-do-i-inject-my-license-key-into-the-java-engine

Thank you for your suggestion!

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

2. Support for .NET Core (at least on Windows)

All new development in our company is .NET Core, and we would like to continue using Windward Reports.

From our correspondance it sounds like the problem is finding the license key. I can tell from experience that figuring out what config file to use and exactly how to specify the license key is also a pain for your users. I suggest, as someone else has also done, that you let the application supply the license key instead of trying to find it.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter!

I am happy to announce that this functionality was released with version 16.3.0! You can find documentation here for the .NET engine:
    ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79483/l/1109667..
    and here for the Java engine:
    ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/79484/l/1109698..

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

3. Licence management need improvment

Hi, Currently Licenses are associated with major versions. If new version downloaded then its needs new license key even though the contract is valid during that duration. It create the lot of issues as we have global user base and coordinating and sharing new license key is problem. Instead of generating the new keys , on your side the old licenses key should be automatically associated with new version if the contract is valid during that duration. This is applicable for Autotag as well as .NET Engine. Please consider this change on priority as we as planning to upgrade the…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to let you know that this is how our subscription licensing works currently. If you are currently on a perpetual license, please look into switching to subscription to get these added benefits. Thank you for your idea, and please submit any other suggestions you have to improve our product.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager.

4. Encrypted PDF output

The ability to deliver an encrypted output a PDF document.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make Word image cropping work with import tags

We need to crop images to a designated area, regardless of aspect ratio, because we serve images of all kinds of sizes and we want to prevent: a) an image from getting stretched/squashed and b) an image pushing the rest of the layout off the page. The images we serve are photos made during inspections by building inspectors with all sorts of mobile devices, in both landscape and portrait mode.

When you use an import tag and then preview/render, it will save the image it downloads in the document. I will call this the "preview image". Currently when you use…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. TIFF image output format

Our client requires an output format of TIFF. Currently they are seeking a way to convert from PDF, but ideally they would like it embedded in Windward.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Keep 'Shrink to fit' setting in Excel

Please preserve 'Shrink to fit' setting on a cell while generating an Excel spreadsheet with AutoTag.
    I use AutoTag 15.1.48.0 for Excel and it keeps 'Wrap text' setting already. Why not to support the one in charge of cell content shrinking?

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. RESTful Engine does not support ReportText!

We current switched from the .NET engine to the RESTful engine and discovered that we lost the ability to create Text reports. For some reason the RESTful engine does not support this simple file output. Can you please put this feature into the RESTful engine? We have many customers that require text reports that are directly loaded into mainframes and/or other hardware and we can't provide any other file format.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I would love to have embedded documents updated

I would love to have a word template that has an excel (or power point) file embedded in the template, that also gets updated with the same pramteres. And if you could choose to use the embedded document based on a parameter, then you could switch it "On/off" depending if the output needs to have it embedded.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add Support for Native Excel Conditional Formatting

Since one of the main selling features of Windward is that you can create your reports using Office products which you already know how to do, supporting native conditional formatting in Excel might make more sense to the common user than having to edit Tag properties to accomplish a similar outcome.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. html

The HTML to Template in Word conversion need upgrading. Especially tables. Also underline, indentation, and bulleted and numbered list to name a few things.

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter!

I am happy to announce that this functionality was released with version 16.3.0! HTML output and import templates received a re-work and new functionality. Please try this functionality in the new release and submit any new requests you might have.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

12. Search functionality for JSON datasource

It would be nice to have some searchbox in AutoTag Data Bin. Data source which we are using, have thousands of properties, so it would be faster to type few keys and filter appropriate properties.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add test-engine message to the header instead of to the body

Our automated test process counts the number of pages of created documents. In some cases they can never be more than one.

Because of the extra body text "Report created by Windward test version - www.windward.net" our test cases fail when the document is just on the limit. See attached an example of such situation.

This could be avoided if the text was put in the header as a text box behind the text (like the workaround for creating a watermark, "Voorbeeld" in our test case).

This has the additional advantage for you, that all the documents will be…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Jurriaan,

I just tested, and this functionality is live in our most recent release! I see that our watermark is now put in the footer of the document, and appears on every page. Please submit a new idea if you have any other requests.

Thank you!
    Adam Austin
    Product Manager

14. Per Report Configuration for Engine

I had to add "layout.document=off" in the web config file of .NET engine to enhance the performance of report creation. Time duration to create a particular report came down from 31 minutes to 7 minutes.

Unfortunately, the config parameter "layout.document=off" is not suitable for all types of reports.

In this context, per report config parameter setting would be useful, meaning the support for -

1. "Overriding configuration of .NET/Java Engine from external program at run time"? AND

2. Sending report specific configuration to the RESTfulEngine.

would be rescuer in the above situation.

Without this feature, product (Engine) is putting constraints to the…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This has been available for some time. Call ProcessReport.setLayoutDocument() in Java and Report.LayoutDocument in .Net to turn this on/off.

In addition, starting with version 20.3, ProcessReport.getProperties() in Java and Report.Properties in .Net allow you to set any report-specific property for the report you are running.

15. Include image location in 'bad image' exception messages

When there is a bad image in the report, the exception message does not show the URL of the bad image, which makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot. This takes us hours and hours to troubleshoot a customers report, whereas if we had the URL of the offending image, we could cut that down to minutes.

Instead, this is what we get:

net.windward.env.DataSourceException: ReadBitmapHeader error; call exception getters for additional information

The underlying exception is:

Caused by: org.apache.commons.imaging.ImageReadException: Couldn't read magic numbers to guess format.
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.guessFormat(Imaging.java:268) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageParser(Imaging.java:738) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageInfo(Imaging.java:731) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at org.apache.commons.imaging.Imaging.getImageInfo(Imaging.java:665) ~[commons-imaging-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
    at net.windward.env.image.ImageHandler._readBitmapHeader(Unknown Source)…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Java Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to report that this information should be added in the exception in our recent 20.0 release. Please let us know if you have any problems with the 20.0 exception for your image paths.

Thank you for your idea.
    Adam Austin
    Product Manager

16. New variable type to support longer blocks of text

I am creating a cover letter report. I want to set the default text for the body of the letter but allow the user to modify it prior to report generation, and it should have multiple paragraphs. The existing Text variable doesn't support line breaks, so this is not possible. Please add a new variable type (e.g., TextArea) that would be more appropriate for longer blocks of text than what was probably intended/envisioned with the existing Text type variable.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. gap in msword Output to PDF

msword features the ability to define TC entries in a Table Of Contents; WW does not render TCs in output to PDF, hence there is a truth in rendering gap; there is no acceptable workaround.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to report that Windward actually does support table of contents output to PDF! Perhaps there was something more specific about table of contents that was not being rendered or this functionality was introduced after the ticket was opened? For now, I am closing this ticket as completed since the functionality is available in our recent releases. Thank you for your idea, and please submit any other suggestions you have to improve our products. Additionally, if there is something specific about this suggestion that is still not supported, please enter a new idea and I will take another look.

Thank you,
    Adam Austin
    Product Manager

18. Variables in the Datasource URL of a Webservice

At the moment I could not add dynamic parameters to the URL of a Webservice. For example I have the following datasource url:

http://jsondatasource/api/Json/GetEmployeeByName?firstname=Martin

but instead of the static value 'Martin' I need a dynamic variable value like

http://jsondatasource/api/Json/GetEmployeeByName?firstname=${firstnameParam}

Thx,

Regards

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to announce that this functionality has been released and is live in the 20.2.1 version of Windward Designer! To learn how you can change your connection URL at runtime, please read our feature documentation here: https://ohana.windwardstudios.com/m/76878/l/1321991-how-do-i-edit-the-datasource-connection-on-output Thank you for your suggestion and please submit any other ideas you have to improve our products.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

19. QR code

QR code support
    We would like to have QR code support for upcoming windward version.
    For example a new tag <wr:qrcode>somedata/wr:qrcode.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There was some feedback to the workaround solution that this does not work in deployment where data cannot leave an organization so casually due to security precautions. I entered a new suggestion that specifically addresses native QR code output for this reason: http://ideas.windwardstudios.com/forums/248503-windward-beta-program/suggestions/38862844-there-should-be-an-option-for-tag-output-of-qr-cod

Please show your support for the suggestion of native QR code output if you have this security concern.

Thank you
    Adam Austin
    Product Manager

20. Add Duplex option to the DirectoToPrinter method

Allow the output when using the DirectToPrinter method to be printed double sided.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET Engine  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello Reporter,

I am happy to share that this functionality is available in our 20.1 Core release. Thank you for your idea and please submit any other suggestions you have to improve our software.

Adam Austin
    Product Manager

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base